- The Sunday Times: Spy chiefs have warned the bosses of Britain’s key power companies to boost their security amid fears of a Russian cyber-attack that could put the lights out.
- The Sunday Telegraph: A global bidding war is set to erupt for Nex Group, the financial technology giant created by City veteran Michael Spencer more than 30 years ago with two friends and a single trading screen.
- The Sunday Times: Melrose has made a dramatic final pitch for GKN by promising to plough £1 billion into the engineering titan’s cash-strapped pension fund.
- The Sunday Telegraph: The high street is facing a full-blown crisis as the company behind off-licence chains Bargain Booze and Wine Rack scrambles to avert collapse and Carpetright prepares to close scores of shops.
Business and economics
- The Sunday Telegraph: Dozens of the world’s top economists have called on the US to pull back from a trade war, warning that it will have ruinous consequences for the country and the wider world economy.
- The Sunday Times: Bank of England governor Mark Carney is set to lay the groundwork this week for an interest rate rise in May, despite signs that inflation is slowing.
- The Observer: Rogue bosses will face fines or prosecution for putting the pensions of their workers at risk under new laws to be unveiled by the government.
- Mail on Sunday: Fullshare, controlled by billionaire Ji Changqun, one of the Chinese suitors behind a bid for House of Fraser, has issued a profit warning a fortnight before the deal is expected to be finalised.
- The Observer: The accounting watchdog is expected to announce an investigation into potential misconduct by two former finance directors at Carillion, the failed government contractor.
- The Sunday Times: Credit insurers are tightening terms for suppliers to Poundstretcher, the struggling discount retail chain owned by two low-profile brothers based in Leicestershire.
- Mail on Sunday: Sir Martin Sorrell, the head of advertising giant WPP, is on course for a big pay cut this year, leaving him with his lowest total package since 2011.
- The Sunday Times: Mitchells & Butlers, the pubs operator behind All Bar One and Harvester, is embroiled in a High Court row with its pension trustees over a plan to cut retirement benefits for more than 20,000 people.
- The Sunday Telegraph: Bonuses for top executives at Hiscox have been scrapped following a record year for natural disasters that left the insurer swallowing a £160 million claims bill.
- The Sunday Times: Heathrow is under pressure to cut blockbuster dividends for its shareholders while it builds a £14 billion third runway.
- The Sunday Times: Struggling outsourcing giant Capita is expected to strip its former boss Andy Parker of an £845,000 cash bonus.
- The Sunday Telegraph: A team of entrepreneurs is planning to build a £10 million Bitcoin farm in the South East that it claims will be the biggest in the UK.
Share tips, comment and bids
- Mail on Sunday (Midas share tips): Join the Caribbean oil rush as Trinidad-based Trinity Exploration & Production looks set to drum up healthy returns for investors.
- Mail on Sunday (Midas share tips): Our paymaster tip Equiniti soars by 80% in 20 months.
- The Sunday Times: The upmarket housebuilder Berkeley Homes is eyeing an approach for the Earls Court site owned by Capital & Counties, the troubled FTSE 250 property developer.
- The Sunday Times: Unilever is preparing the ground for a series of blockbuster mergers that could include deals with rivals such as Colgate-Palmolive and Estée Lauder, according to City sources.
- The Observer (Comment): Can Spotify and Dropbox finally prove that tech is a sound investment?